Provider wants to upgrade their HMC platform from 4.0 to 4.5. They follow POA Windows Hosting Infrastructure Deployment Guide > Deploying Windows Hosting Infrastructure > Upgrading HMC 4.0 to HMC 4.5.
The guide says to install hotfix from Microsoft KB article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946516
The KB article contains several steps and Provider has troubles applying the very first step in the section 'How to apply the hotfix' which suggests to uninstall old components using MPS Deployment Tool (below is cite from Microsoft KB article):
Uninstall old components. To do this, follow these steps:However, when Provider run MPS Deployment Tool it turns out that they cannot uninstall old components just because they are not installed/configured on POA-managed MPS server.
- Start the MPS Deployment Tool.
- Expand SharePoint Services Hosting.
- Right-click Hosted SharePoint, and then click Uninstall.
- Right-click Managed SharePoint, and then click Uninstall.
- Right-click SharePoint Provider, and then click Uninstall.
- Expand MPS Web Service, and then expand Hosted SharePoint Web Service.
- Under Hosted SharePoint Web Service, right-click each server, and then click Uninstall.
- Expand Managed SharePoint Web Service.
- Under Managed SharePoint Web Service, right-click each server, and then click Uninstall.
- Click Start Deployment.
- Wait for the "Deployment Completed" message.
POA does not need MPS components listed in Microsoft KB article 946516 in the step #1 in the section 'How to apply the hotfix', that is why they cannot be uninstalled.
Just skip the step #1 in the section 'How to apply the hotfix' in Microsoft KB article 946516 when upgrading HMC from 4.0 to 4.5.