Ensim Integration - 4.8 to 5.5 Upgrade Instructions (Windows Hosted version)
For users that are going to be using the MSDE 2000 SQL Server included with the MailMax 5.5 installation
Before you begin the upgrade please confirm that
1. The "Computer Browser" service is started.
2. File and print sharing has been enabled
3. Client for Microsoft has been enabled.
This upgrade process has several steps that need to be followed very carefully:
1. Run the Ensim integration installation to upgrade to MailMax 5.5
2. Run the conversion to convert all current email to the 5.x format
3. Specify Queue Directory, Register, Start MailMax Services
(1) 4.8 to 5.5 Upgrade Instructions
1. Please download the installer from
2. Open the registry by running the command "regedit"
3. Open the following entry in the registry
4. Right click and add a new string value with the following name "FullVirtualHostingPath"
5. The value data should be "c:\webgui\".
6. Close the registry editor.
7. Go to command prompt and change your working directory to
8. Run the following command
9. This will unregister the current 4.8 mail server.
After this please run the downloaded installation file. (This will install both MailMax 5.5 & MailMax/WEB 4.1 and also register it with Webppliance)
Note: You MUST install MailMax 5.5 on the same machine as the Ensim WEBppliance in order for the integration to work.
You must backup your EXMAIL4.MDB and the domain directories containing all the user mail! This process is NOT REVERSIBLE. You will need to convert your database and mail before continuing with the setup of MailMax 5.5.
Note: The following conversions will only upgrade systems running MailMax 4.6 or greater.
1. Run convertdb.exe in the directory MailMax 5.5 is installed. Then select whether your database is SQL or Access, and provide either the database path or the SQL login information. This will create a new database that is 5.x compatible.
2. Run emailconvert.exe in the directory MailMax 5.5 is installed. This converts all email to the 5.x format. Simply click "OK" to convert the mail if running an Access database, or enter in the SQL login information and click "OK" if running a SQL database. Please note that rules, bans, blocks, and relay list information will not be converted.
Note: This process, despite its simplicity, can take a long time to run. Please be patient.
(3) Final Steps Before Starting your Services
1. Setup the directory where outbound mail is stored.
a. Open the MailMax Admin
b. Expand the Connection Manager
c. Click the Connection (Lightning bolt)
d. Click ‘System Settings’
e. Go to the ‘Queue’ Tab and specify your system wide queue directory path
2. Now, you will need to register MailMax 5.5
a. Click the Connection (Lightning bolt)
b. Click ‘Register’ and enter your serial number
3. START the MailMax Services from your Services Control Panel. (Housekeeping, ImapMax, PopMax, QueueMax, SMTPMax)
MailMax is now ready to send and receive email!