Clamav is an Anti-Virus Service used for detecting virus traces in incoming and outgoing mails and appropriately reporting to users.
Clamav in EPL
Clamav is used and supported from Ensim Pro for Linux v3.7.0 onwards. We were providing this service to our customer in two forms:
- Ensimized rpm (only in cases where OS compatible rpm were not available) &
- Third party rpm (when a third party was available and picked up)
Reasons for de-ensimizing Clamav:
- Ensimized clamav makes this service tightly coupled with Ensim Pro for Linux rpms.
- Third Party rpms provided by ensim have stopped supporting clamav on all required OS and versions.
- Dependency of Ensim for any clamav upgrade.
- Users stuck up at very old versions of clamav, which have many performance issues.
Result: Customers, dependent on Ensim to come up with hotfix release to upgrade their Clamav, given it is available easily and freely as source or rpm.
Solution For Customers
DAG repository is one reliable source of Linux rpms which support Clamav along with many other rpms on almost all required Operating Systems and Versions.
1. Download following rpms of clamav(for your OS) from DAG repository or click here to download: http://dag.wieers.com/packages/clamav/
Note:Download these rpms which are compatible with your operating system and better if the latest release of clamav that is 0.86 can be installed as its containing various security fixes.
2. rpm -Uvh clam*.rpm
Issue this command in directory where you stored clamav rpms.
3. service webppliance restart
4. service MailScanner restart
5. freshclam For refreshing Anti-Virus database.
Note: First time issuing this command might show some error which can be ignored.
1. You can confirm about the newer clamav installation using following commands:
This should show the release of latest installed rpms
2. New clamav working can now be tested with few virus mails.